Cashmere and Cream Tea

Sunday, December 09, 2007

The Golden Compass

First, I am an atheist, so I am inclined to support the movie. Second, I am a knitter and that movie has fantastic knitting. Third, the anti-god theme doesn't really come through in the movie at all. I haven't read the book, but I will be soon. From what I understand, the books are more blatant in their philosophies. I can't wait to see who will figure out some of the patterns. I have some schemes cooking up myself.

So, whether you watch the movie for the fantasy element,or to support children thinking for themselves, or because it's just plain good knitting, then good on you.

If you are one who boycotts the movie, I am not interested in a debate and I hope you will check the book out from the library so you can be informed on what you protest. There is nothing more ignorant than blind obedience to a cause you haven't experienced first hand. I saw Passion of the Christ (can't say I was shocked that old Mel turned out to be an anti-Semite) only because a friend worked at the theater and I got in free. I wouldn't have paid for it, but I needed to see it in order to know whether I thought the movie was fair or not. All I have to say is that if the bible had as many zombies as that movie did, I'd have paid more attention in school.

And as for the knitting, I am making the Tudora from the new issue of Knitty. It's turning out wonderfully.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home